A cool way to blow out your birthday candles at home — but please watch the above video first with your parent.
What you need:
- Large jug, with no lid
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- ½ cup white vinegar
- Birthday candles
What to do:
Add the baking soda to the jug and then slowly pour in the vinegar — enjoy the reaction!
Wait for all the bubbles to pop. You’ve just made carbon dioxide gas!
Slowly pour the invisible carbon dioxide gas over the candles, be careful not to pour the liquid out too, so do it slowly and carefully. Watch the candles sputter out!
OK, why? Fire needs three things to burn: fuel, heat and oxygen, If you take any of these things away, the fire will go out. The heavy carbon dioxide gas pushes the oxygen off the flame, starving it of oxygen. This is how a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher works!
If you want to make your own carbon dioxide balloons, check out this video.
Want even more MOTAT.FUN activities? Click here!